What are chemical peels?Your skin is susceptible to damage from many sources, including sun exposure, environmental toxins, health conditions, age, and more. Fortunately, skin also has the power to heal and rejuvenate itself – it is constantly forming new cells, and shedding old ones. However, this process may not be efficient enough to eliminate the damage that accumulates over time, resulting in lasting changes to the color, texture, or laxity.
A chemical peel is a great way to give nature a hand, and achieve dramatic skin rejuvenation. It enhances the shedding of dead or damaged cells, and encourages the development of new ones.
Types of chemical peels at Dr. W DermatologyA chemical peel, also called derma-peeling or chemexfoliation, is an effective treatment utilizing topical solutions to gently remove the upper layers of skin, revealing a fresh, youthful texture and appearance. The benefits and downtime vary, depending on the type of peel.
- Light, or superficial, peels are mild and refreshing, similar to a facial with enhanced benefits. They can improve the appearance of age spots, fine lines, and superficial skin blemishes with little to no visible peeling.
- Medium depth peels are effective for reducing the signs of aging and improving sun damaged skin. There is little to no pain during recovery, but your skin may be red or visibly peeling for several days. You may want to take a few days off work and avoid public outings, because you will not be able to apply cosmetics during this time.
- Deep peels yield the most dramatic results. They can be used to treat extensive sun damage, deeper wrinkles, scars, and pre-cancerous growths. Redness may last for a few weeks before your beautiful new complexion fully emerges.
Chemical peel combination treatmentsA chemical peel may be used alone or in conjunction with other cosmetic treatments. Often, a multi-phase treatment plan will be designed to address all of your cosmetic issues. While chemical peels can improve some shallow wrinkles, Botox or Dermal fillers will be needed for deep folds and lines.
Chemical peels guide
Grape wine peelThis gentle, mild peel is popular as a more natural alternative to options such as salicylic or glycolic acid. It contains natural fruit and wine extracts for effective rejuvenation with no downtime. The grape wine peel is so gentle that it could be used weekly with no ill effect. A series of several treatments may be recommended for optimal results.
AHA/Glycolic acid peelThis peel has both cosmetic and medicinal applications. It is an excellent treatment for acne, sun damage, melasma, and more. It is a highly customizable treatment. The depth of peeling, and degree of skin rejuvenation, are dependent upon the potency of the formula, and the length of time it remains on the skin.
TCA (Trichloroacetic acid peel)This is one of the most popular medium depth peels. It is frequently used to treat fine wrinkles, skin discoloration, and improve texture. It may be a one-time treatment, or it may be repeated every few months to maintain results, depending on your skin condition.
Jessner’s peelThis mild chemical peel contains a blend of three active ingredients – lactic acid, resorcinol, and salicylic acid. It is extremely safe and gentle for virtually any skin type or color. Often, a series of Jessner’s peels is recommended to achieve progressive results. It is also an excellent preparation, gently removing the uppermost layer prior to a deeper peel such as TCA.
Melanage peelThe Melanage Skin Lightening System is a gentle formula, designed for reducing the appearance of melasma and other hyperpigmentation problems. It is a comprehensive treatment plan, including a medicated masque and an easy to follow at-home regimen.
Chemical peel pricingChemical peel pricing starts at $125 for superficial peels to give your skin a quick boost and goes up to $1200 for more intense peels focused on correcting more serious skin imperfections. Oftentimes a series of peels gives the best results. For more information about series treatments, visit our SKIN FIT MEDICAL program.
If you would like more information about the benefits of chemical peels, or you are ready to schedule a consultation, call us at 281 771-0494 today! We have two convenient locations, one is in Katy, and the other is in Houston.
Dr. W DermatologyRating : 5
Dear Dr. Weaver,
I am really impressed with my skin results due to your facial treatments and medication. I really did not believe that I would be able to have clear, smooth skin anytime soon, but thanks to you I do and I am very pleased. I would definitely recommend everyone to visit with you to take care of their facial needs.
- Chemical Peel Houston TX - Houston TX dermatologists reveal dramatically improved skin with a chemical peel customized for you
- Dark Skin Chemical Peels Houston - Houston patients ask, "Can chemical peels be used on dark skin?"
- Chemical Peels for Acne Houston - Houston area patients ask about chemical peels for acne
- Glycolic Acid Peel Katy TX - Katy, TX area dermatologist describes the benefits of the glycolic acid peel
- Types of Chemical Peels Cinco Ranch - With various types of chemical peels to choose from, residents of the Cinco Ranch area attain great benefits
- Chemical Peel Katy - Katy, TX patients want to know the benefits of a chemical peel