What are wrinkles?
Creases, lines, folds, and loose, sagging skin are a natural part of the aging process. Usually, the first areas to develop wrinkles are those that have received the most sun exposure throughout your lifetime, such as the forearms, backs of the hands, neck, and the face. These are also the most visible areas.
What causes wrinkles?
Our skin goes through many changes as we age. It loses some of its elasticity and ability to retain moisture, as well as becoming thinner. A few of the factors involved in the formation of wrinkles include:
- Sun exposure or indoor tanning
- Skin tone (fair skinned people)
Do you want to maintain your youthful skin? While no one can stop the clock, your habits, especially UV exposure, play a much greater role in aging than most people realize. Follow these tips to slow the development of wrinkles:
- Wear a wide brimmed hat and other protective clothing when outdoors.
- Choose skin care products that offer broad spectrum UV protection of at least 30.
- Don't smoke.
- Don't use indoor tanning beds.
- Use moisturizer frequently.
Treatment for wrinkles at Dr. W Dermatology
Modern science and advanced medicine have provided us with a wealth of anti-aging solutions. After a consultation, we may recommend cosmetic procedures such as:
- Laser resurfacing - Promotes the growth of smoother, tighter skin.
- Injectables - Neuromodulators (such as Botox) and dermal fillers (such as Restylane).
- Dermabrasion - Removes the outer layer of skin.
- Chemical peels - Cause the surface layer to shed, and stimulate the production of new skin cells.
- Skin tightening - Improve texture and laxity.
We can also help you develop a skin care regimen that is suited to your skin type and condition, including products such as:
- Retinol (acid of vitamin A) reduces signs of aging.
- Moisturizers can help your skin stay firm.
- Antioxidant creams can improve the appearance of wrinkles.
- Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) causes a subtle improvement in the appearance of wrinkles.
At Dr. W Dermatology, we provide a wide array of cosmetic services including anti-aging, esthetic enhancement, body shaping, and more. Call (281) 771-0494
and schedule a consultation at our Katy or Houston office.