Houston, TX area dermatologist describes options for the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles
Dr. Seymour Weaver is a dermatologist that is pleased to provide patients in the Houston, TX area with general, cosmetic, and medical dermatology solutions. Many patients who are dealing with the unwanted signs of aging, such as fine lines and wrinkles, are often interested in learning about the treatments available to them for these imperfections. Our dermatologist offers a line of products and services that can be used by patients to address cosmetic issues that may be causing them to look older than they feel!
What causes fine lines and wrinkles?
We’d all like to age gracefully, but for some of us, the signs of aging creep up sooner than we’d like. When it comes to the aging process, there are many factors that can contribute. This includes:
- Exposure to the elements
- Natural loss of collagen and elastin
- Skin laxity
Fine lines and wrinkles may be unsightly and extremely noticeable for some patients, causing them to feel self-conscious about their appearance. Cosmetics can only hide so much when it comes to poor skin texture. Thanks to the team at Dr. W Dermatology, patients have a wide selection of options to choose from for reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on their facial skin.
Treatments available at Dr. W Dermatology
Patients are welcome to ask about any and all of the treatments below for use in enhancing their appearance:
- Chemical peels – One way to not only improve the signs of aging but also address poor skin texture and tone is with chemical peels. Chemical peels use a specific combination of ingredients that are applied to the face for a short period of time to help stimulate skin cell turnover. Chemical peels can be as superficial or as aggressive as needed based on a patient’s desired results; deeper peels provide more dramatic results, but typically have more recovery time.
- Microneedling – Microneedling is a specialized procedure that uses a small device with many tiny needles. The device is run along the skin, allowing the needles to puncture the surface and stimulate the body’s natural production of collagen and elastin. Over the course of time, patients see marked improvement in the texture and tone of their skin, as well as more firmness and youthfulness.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) – This natural method of skin rejuvenation utilizes small cells called platelets concentrated from a sample of your own blood. Platelets are filled with growth factors or fibroblasts, designed for wound healing. When PRP is reintroduced into skin by injection or microneedling, fibroblasts stimulate stem cells and production of collagen. Over time, skin gets thicker, firmer, and smoother, and the results are long-lasting. With periodic re-treatment, skin maintains youthful elasticity. Since the PRP comes from your own body, there is no chance of rejection or allergic reaction. PRP therapy is ideal for lines and wrinkles on the face, sagging jowls or neck, and crepey skin on décolletage. This treatment can be administered alone or as part of a comprehensive skin rejuvenation strategy, along with neuromodulators, dermal fillers, and resurfacing. PRP is also an excellent choice for natural smoothing of acne scars. It is even effective in improving old, deep, and discolored acne scarring.
- IPL photofacials – Using intense pulsed light, or IPL, patients can get to the root of the problem. This treatment uses a device that emits IPL that penetrates deep into the skin to stimulate collagen production. Treatment done on a regular basis provides enhancement that can last many months.
- Laser skin resurfacing – Laser skin resurfacing is similar to IPL photofacial treatment, but is often more aggressive. Patients who consider laser skin resurfacing can greatly improve texture and tone, but may require more social downtime and extended healing time to allow the skin the chance to regenerate and improve.
- Microdermabrasion – Exfoliating the upper layers of the skin can help in skin cell turnover, while reducing the appearance of poor texture and tone. This is done with a treatment called microdermabrasion. This exfoliation treatment is done right in the office and provides a non-invasive way of addressing dull, dead skin cells on the upper layers which may contribute to an aging appearance.
- Dermal fillers – One of the most popular options for treating specific fine lines and wrinkles is dermal fillers. Dermal fillers are injectable gels that are formulated with hyaluronic acid, an element that attracts water to improve volume, or other specialized materials designed to revitalize the skin. When injected into specific wrinkles and folds, the lines are instantly less noticeable. The results of dermal fillers can last several months before maintenance treatments are necessary.
Which one is right for me?
Consulting with a dermatological professional is the best way to determine which treatment option or combination of options is best for your skin type and desired results.
Schedule a visit with the team of Dr. W Dermatology today!
If you reside in or around the area of Houston, TX, we welcome you to book an appointment to discuss with our staff the options available for the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles caused by aging. Dr. Seymour Weaver and his providers are excited to offer patients affordable and effective ways to combat aging skin without the need for plastic surgery. Call (281) 395-7770 today to connect with the professionals at Dr. W Dermatology!
New Patients: (281) 771-0494 | Existing Patients: (281) 395-7770 Or
Book an Appointment today.
Back to Wrinkles Page