Learn about effective recommended acne treatments with our dermatologist in Houston, TX
At Dr. W Dermatology, Dr. Seymour Weaver and his team provide solutions for a wide variety of dermatological needs. Many patients who visit the practice are struggling with acne. Acne is a condition that can impact a person’s appearance as well as their self-esteem. Our dermatologist in the Houston, TX community is pleased to provide several highly recommended and effective acne treatments that can help eradicate the condition and help patients look and feel their best!
What are solutions for acne that are available?
At the practice of Dr. Seymour Weaver, patients can learn about the advantages of effective treatment solutions for acne. Below is a small sampling of the treatments that may be recommended depending on the type of acne patients have and the severity of the condition.
- Appropriate cleansers. One of the best ways of reducing acne is to use appropriate cleansers to keep the skin free from the oils, debris, and bacteria that can contribute to acne. Many of these are formulated with certain ingredients that can help in addressing active acne, including salicylic acid, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, or sulfur. All of these ingredients are known for improving acne and are often found in cleansers or topical treatments.
- Topical treatments. Topicals are lotions or products that can be applied onto the skin after cleansing and can help in combating acne. These may include pads, creams, and other items that are often found over-the-counter in the local drugstore. They work best on milder cases of acne and may include the same ingredients found in common cleansers.
- Retinol. Retinol is a commonly prescribed ingredient in topicals that may be used for patients who are experiencing acne. The purpose of retinol is to keep acne from forming, as it affects the growth of cells and unblocks pores. With retinol, patients may notice that it can takes some time to see results. This prescription treatment is effective for patients who have acne caused by oily skin.
- Antibiotics. When acne is caused by bacterial growth and inflammation, antibiotics may be used to achieve results. Antibiotics may be administered either as a topical cream or as a medication that is taken orally to address the problem from the inside out. This treatment can be combined with other options to see faster results.
- Retinoids. Patients with moderate to severe acne who are interested in treating their condition may be prescribed a product called retinoids. Retinoids address the way in which the skin grows and sheds, and can be used along with other topical treatments to improve results. Our team may not recommend this product for patients who are pregnant or nursing, and patients should be aware of the common side effects including itchy, red, and dry skin.
- Light therapies. Dr. Seymour Weaver may recommend regular light treatments to help clear up cases of acne. This is a wonderful way for patients who have addressed their acne to be proactive about keeping their skin beautiful over time, and is an affordable solution that can be combined with other services.
Which treatment is right for me?
It is important for patients to know that the process of successfully treating acne may take some time. In most situations, it can take a few months before the condition clears. There is no “one size fits all” treatment, so trial and error may help patients and their dermatologist find the treatment that is most effective.
Dr. Weaver and his team educates patients on how to care for their skin to help keep future breakouts from occurring. This includes a proper skin care routine each and every day. Our team of professionals also provide prescription-strength cleansers that can reduce the number of bacteria on the skin and can address excess oil that may be contributing to the development of acne. A consultation is the first step in discussing treatment options to reduce and control acne.
Request your visit with Dr. Seymour Weaver today
At Dr. W Dermatology, our professional staff believes in helping patients who struggle with acne and providing them with effective treatments. If you are tired of acne and are seeking clearer, more beautiful skin, we welcome you to book a consultation appointment with Dr. W Dermatology. Call us at (281) 771-0494.
New Patients: (281) 771-0494 | Existing Patients: (281) 395-7770 Or
Book an Appointment today.